UNDERSEA & HYPERBARIC MEDICAL SOCIETY (UHMS)
in cooperation with Stellenbosch University
Hyperbaric Physician and Graduate Hyperbaric Physician Degree Program
**ONLY FOR MD/DO OR EQUIVALENT**
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The UHMS is pleased to announce and recognize two new UHMS approved international levels of training provided with the assistance of Stellenbosch University (SUN) located near Cape Town, South Africa, and available to physicians in the USA and internationally through the UHMS.
The Hyperbaric Physician: Comprises approximately 2 months of clinical training, including assessment and management of clinical cases, supervision of routine hyperbaric treatment sessions and a requirement for consultation on complicated cases with an experienced Graduate or Board Certified Hyperbaric Physician, as well as:
* Successful completion of online training modules 1 & 2 and a final examination are required;
* The required 240 hours of hyperbaric treatment supervision must include at least 20 individual patient examinations and skills, as outlined in the training log book;
* Passing the examination of the international web-based training program for Modules 1 & 2.
The Graduate Hyperbaric Physician: This degree level program prepares candidates for greater responsibility in clinical practice, including potentially, supervision of other physicians, health care, technical and safety professionals. Successful completion leads to the award of B.Sc.Med. (Honors) Hyperbaric Medicine.
At the present time, only the Hyperbaric Physician Certificate is available; the Graduate Hyperbaric Physician program should follow early next year.
TO ENROLL NOW
Required Levels of Previous Training for the Hyperbaric Physician Level
- Board certification in a primary specialty
- ACLS – advanced cardiac life support
- Completion of a UHMS-approved 40-hour introductory course in HBO2 medicine within the past eight (8) years
Web-based Program Requirements
- Completion of UHMS international program web-based Modules 1 & 2
- Documented 240 hours of hyperbaric treatment supervision to include at least 20 individual patient examinations and
skills, as outlined in the program log book
- Passing the examination of the international web-based training program for Modules 1 & 2
- Complete required personal information
- Provide documentation as required
- Provide payment:
Current UHMS Member - $2,000. (members must log in)
Non - Member $2,500.
Notification by email will be provided after registration has been received.