Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Register
Community Search

monitoring of b/p while using IV sedation in monoplace chamber
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

4/4/2014 at 12:59:37 PM GMT
monitoring of b/p while using IV sedation in monoplace chamber

At my center the only way I can monitor a b/p is with an a-line.  Often times I will fail to get a b/p reading once the patient is under pressure.  This is a problem when diving emergent patients who require IV sedation.  Do any of you have a protocol you follow when this happens?  Do you continue based on heart rate only?

Last edited Friday, April 04, 2014
4/7/2014 at 1:41:31 PM GMT
The first question I have to ask is how are you pressurizing the art-line infusion bag? We've used a Surgi-Press infuser (spring pressurized - not air) for years & don't have any issues with losing the waveform & reading. That said, if we do lose the a-line or don't trust the readings we'll keep the pt as lightly sedated as possible monitoring the ECG & RR. If we have any questions about the a-line pre-dive, we'll use a non-invasive BP monitor.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.
Brian Pruss RRT/CHT
brian.pruss@avera.org

4/14/2014 at 9:19:34 AM GMT
We use the bp cuff in most of our patients, but a chest tcom lead is also a good proxy if there is no art line. Cardiac monitoring is a must. I like to get a chest tcom reading at baseline before inserting the patient while I have an accurate BP. We manage our sick, sedated and intubated patients this way. P Benson MD

Sign In

Forgot your password?

Haven't registered yet?

Calendar

8/1/2014
UHMS: Online Wound Care Educational Series

8/1/2014
Hyperbaric Physician Certification

Copyright © 2011 Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society. All Rights Reserved. Legal | Privacy Policy