Community Search

Safety in monoplace chambers
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

6/26/2014 at 7:44:35 PM GMT
Safety in monoplace chambers
My clinic operates a Perry Sigma 40 monoplane chamber which is configured to be pressurized with air and the oxygen is administered via a BIB. and the chamber is constantly vented during treatment.
Basic safety protocol written for monoplace chambers are very strict about what can or can not be taken into the chamber mainly for fire reasons due to a oxygen environment. My question is that if the chamber is pressured with air can there be exceptions to what can be taken into the chamber e.g.. Headphones; books ; wrist watch  etc.
I understand that in the commercial diving industry decompression chambers are pressured with air and O2 administered by BIB, and safety protocol in the commercial diving industry allows books ; iPods ; watches etc to be used in the chamber during decompression

I would appreciate if I could get some feedback on this.
Rgds
Robert

9/8/2014 at 1:16:02 PM GMT
Hello Robert,

I would always play it safe and not allow anything like books, electronics, etc etc in the chamber, regardless if you are pressurizing with Air. Don't risk it.

9/25/2014 at 2:14:13 PM GMT

NFPA 99 clearly states what the regulations are for monoplace and multiplace chambers in a health care facility.  Commercial diving regulations are set by the Coast Guard and OSHA.  I have worked in both industries and they are totally different.  It looks like you are not located in the United States and may not have to follow the same regulation that we do.  If you want to be safe reference the https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/004/nfpa.99.2005.pdf

Last edited Thursday, September 25, 2014
Sign In

Forgot your password?

Haven't registered yet?

Calendar

11/1/2014
UHMS: Online Wound Care Educational Series