Community Search

Hyperbaric Medicine
Moderator(s):
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Follow-up after discharge 0 A. Deal Hello.  I am researching if there are any standards set for routine follow-up calls after a patient is discharged from hyperbaric treatment?  Any information is appreciated.Thank you
by A. Deal
Tuesday, August 26, 2014
Safety in monoplace chambers 0 R. Stauble My clinic operates a Perry Sigma 40 monoplane chamber which is configured to be pressurized with air and the oxygen is administered via a BIB. and the chamber is constantly vented during treatment.Basic safety protocol written for monoplace chambers are very strict about what can or can not be taken into the chamber mainly for fire reasons due to a oxygen environment. My question is that if the chamber is pressured with air can there be exceptions to what can be taken into the chamber e.g.. Headphones; books ; wrist watch  etc.I understand that in the commercial diving industry decompression chambers are pressured with air and O2 administered by BIB, and safety protocol in the commercial diving industry allows books ; iPods ; watches etc to be used in the chamber during decompressionI would appreciate if I could get some feedback on this.RgdsRobert
by R. Stauble
Thursday, June 26, 2014
Hyperbaric ventilators 8 I had it on demo for a few weeks. Better than any other I used (Manley, penlon, siarretron), but very expensive, and no dedicated scavenging- had to rig my ownPieter Bothma, London
by P. Bothma
Wednesday, June 11, 2014
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis 0 D. Humphrey Wagner IV DFUs in a patient with IPF. Is it safe to treat in a hyperbaric chamber? Is it recommended to follow PFTs or would you completely avoid hyperbaric oxygen?
by D. Humphrey
Thursday, June 05, 2014
Myringotomy tubes 1 J. Markowitz It all depends on the pt population we're treating at the time. Head/neck radiation nec, ch ref osteo of the jaw or those with a history of chronic ear or sinus infections tend to have a greater incidence of PE tube placement. Without going thru my pt stats, I'd be willing to guess that at least 50% of our head/neck patients end up requiring PE tubes. From what I've seen, these patients don't respond well to most clearing techniques or pseudoephredine (if they can even take it). For all other indications the incident of PE tube placement is much less. Feel free to contact me if you have other questions.Brian
by B. Pruss
Wednesday, June 04, 2014
Blood glucose monitoring 1 V. Hall We are in the same situation at our place and we have decided to change to pre- and post-dive glucose checks. According to many papers on this topic, this should be fine with regard to avoiding developing hypoglycemia. However, you will need some sort of a protocol to follow. Check the literatur - many good articles.
by M. Ibsen
Tuesday, June 03, 2014
Peritoneal Caths 0 K. Yerkes Simonson I have had much discussion lately about if a peritoneal catheter needs to be vented during HBOT.  It seems some techs have been taught to vent and some have been taught not to vent.Do you vent a PD cath during HBOT and if so, what is your rationale?
by K. Yerkes Simonson
Monday, May 12, 2014
Wireless communications for Multiplace chamber 0 R. Alicea I am looking for a wireless headset system for our communications system.   Currently we are using a wired headset for the inside observer in our multiplace chamber.  The chamber operator is also wired.  Eartec has a system that we have tried but has some minor issues. The problem with everything I have seen is that it has Lithium batteries and when I find one that will work it is way out of budget.What is everybody out there using for wireless if any?  
by R. Alicea
Thursday, May 01, 2014
Inpatient vs. outpatient treatment 5 F. Smith I will also agree with Fowler, Pruss and Benson, but would say 30% for us. We do 3 treatments daily for inpatients and outpatients combines. We have a 12 person multiplace and two monos. We run a total of 8 mono treatments in a day and about average 18 - 20 in the multi. We are on call 24/7 for emergencies. Our unit is attached to the hospital.
by R. Alicea
Thursday, May 01, 2014
Oxygen Supply Level 6 V. Ferrini Our O2 supply is at around 72 PSI.  We have two Perry Sigma 40 monoplace chambers and a multiplace with capacity for 12.  Contact your building engineering dept and they should be able to increase it.
by R. Alicea
Thursday, May 01, 2014
infected arthroplasties 1 B. Allen Often they are comp flaps post operatively. Check a TCOM.
by P. Benson
Monday, April 14, 2014
monitoring of b/p while using IV sedation in monoplace chamber 2 K. Butler We use the bp cuff in most of our patients, but a chest tcom lead is also a good proxy if there is no art line. Cardiac monitoring is a must. I like to get a chest tcom reading at baseline before inserting the patient while I have an accurate BP. We manage our sick, sedated and intubated patients this way. P Benson MD
by P. Benson
Monday, April 14, 2014
Cisplatin 2 C. Mulleady It depends upon the indication. For elective HBOT, it's probably best to wait, but for emergency indications, I wouldn't delay treatment.
by M. Richards
Monday, March 10, 2014
PICC line flushing 0 M. Richards Does anyone routinely flush PICC lines per and post treatment?
by M. Richards
Friday, March 07, 2014
HBOT protocols 4 L. Cox Do you have a referrence to any studies comparing outcomes of 2.0 vs 2.4? It's true that some TCOMs values will go up at 2.4 vs 2.0, but the outcome we're measuring is wound healing (at least when TCOMs are involved).Until I see real evidence that 2.4 is better, I'm sticking with 2.0 since it's both safer for inside attendants and the patients.
by M. Richards
Thursday, March 06, 2014
Central Retinal Artery Occlusion 1 M. Nelson This is not a covered indication. If it's private insurance, you could get the medical director to draft up a letter to the insurance company explaining the benefits that the patient can receive. Usually once they see the money that could potentially be saved they should ok the treatment. If it is CMS you would just have to eat the cost. We've treated 3 pts at our facility with Idiopathic Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss and one pts private insurance gave us the auth for the treatment the other 2 (one CMS, one private), denied the it, so we ate the cost.
by F. Steffich
Monday, March 03, 2014
Mafenide (Sulfamylon) 0 M. Richards According to Kindwall, mafenide or sulfamylon are contraindicated during HBO.  Everything I've seen on the topic simply echoes the sentiments of Kindwall.  Does anyone have real world experience treating HBO patients who also have mafenide on wounds?
by M. Richards
Thursday, February 27, 2014
radiation injury to spinal cord 1 R. Byrne We have had 2 cases: one was a cervical cord injury which was covered by the insurance company. He did very well with treatment. The second was a thoracic cord injury. She was not covered by her insurance company and did fairly well with treatment. Both had extensive documentation of their injuries. I hope this helps. 
by M. O'Donnell
Wednesday, February 05, 2014
bisphosphonate associated osteonecrosis 2 R. Byrne Thank you for your reply.  Sorry I am responding so late!Rosemary
by R. Byrne
Thursday, January 23, 2014
Carbon monoxide poisioning in pregnancy 1 P. Tibbles In a situation like this it best to give the treatment.  A concern is that a pregnant woman exposed to CO usually has a 10 to 15% lower level of COHb than does her fetus.  If your faciltiy doesn't have it already buy "HYPERBARIC MEDICINE PRACTICE" 3rd Edition by Eric Kinwall, MD & Harry Whelan, MD. This book is an abundance of information.    Frank Steffich, CHT/Safety Director Central Jersey Wound & Hyperbaric Treatment Center 901 West Main St Freehold, NJ, 07728
by F. Steffich
Thursday, January 23, 2014
Sign In

Forgot your password?

Haven't registered yet?

Calendar

9/1/2014
UHMS: Online Wound Care Educational Series

9/1/2014
Hyperbaric Physician Certification