Community Search

Inpatient vs. outpatient treatment
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

3/7/2012 at 8:06:05 PM GMT
Inpatient vs. outpatient treatment

The regional hopsital I am affiliated with is questioning whether our HBOT center should be relocated to a location within the hospital.  Any Ideas on what percentage of dives are for inpatients rather than outpatients?  I think inpatients must be a very small percentate, but any other opinion would be helpful.

4/2/2012 at 5:18:50 PM GMT
We are located in a hospital, I would say that our inpts account for 15-20% of our patients.  However we are a 24/7 facility that takes care of ICU patients (COs, nec fsc, post op head and neck flaps etc).  If your facility is not 24/7, I would think that your inpt numbers would be less.

1/14/2014 at 6:36:26 PM GMT

We are currently an OP facility located within the hospital. Some of the surgeons are wanting to treat inpatients, but I am reluctant. We have 2 monoplace chambers, and it seems to me that most of the inpatient population that would benefit from (urgent) HBO treatment, would also require the monitoring and therapy available only in a multiplace chamber. Compromised flap in a stable pt. is one thing, but gas gangrene on pressors, or CO poisoning with neuro changes, is another.

Any thoughts?

Last edited Tuesday, January 14, 2014
1/17/2014 at 4:00:02 PM GMT

Morning,

Our HBO unit is located in a regional hospital & we're on call 24/7 for emergencies.  Depending on the year, about 80-85% of our patients are out-pts.  The 15-20% that are in-pts are typically CO, Nec Fasc, Cl. Gas Gang, Air Emboli, & prep for graft.  In some cases (ex. rad nec) we're able to get started in-house before they are transitioned to an out-pt status.  The question of "should we move out of the hospital" comes up on occasion.  As a regional facility, it would be a great disservice to our patients & community if we were unable to be here in-house.  Luckily our HBO physicians are surgeons & want us to remain in-house.

We have a Sechrist monoplace chamber and have the critical care capabilities to run a vent, multiple IV's, Cardiac/BP monitor, external pacer, etc...  Depending on the year, we'll see 2-6+ critical patients per year.  The question of wether you should be treating critically ill patients will greatly depend on the critcal care experience of your staff.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Brian Pruss, RRT/CHT

Avera McKennan Hyperbaric Medicine

605-322-8610

brian.pruss@avera.org

4/14/2014 at 9:22:27 AM GMT
Agree with Fowler and Pruss similar excperience in our shop.

5/2/2014 at 1:46:12 AM GMT
I will also agree with Fowler, Pruss and Benson, but would say 30% for us. We do 3 treatments daily for inpatients and outpatients combines. We have a 12 person multiplace and two monos. We run a total of 8 mono treatments in a day and about average 18 - 20 in the multi. We are on call 24/7 for emergencies. Our unit is attached to the hospital.

Sign In

Forgot your password?

Haven't registered yet?

Calendar

12/1/2014
UHMS: Online Wound Care Educational Series

12/1/2014
Hyperbaric Physician Certification