Community Search

curious case
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

3/22/2012 at 4:16:47 PM GMT
curious case
All,I have a 33yo female patient being treated for ORN using the Marx protocol of 20/10 treatments. During the first 20 treatments the patient complained of tenderness and throbbing pain to bilateral breasts and upper lateral thighs. She shows a lot of mottling post treatment to her thighs and breasts without any itchiness. She said the pain is not associated with her menstrual cycle and does not feel the same type of tenderness that she feels during menstruation. She is not pregnant.She was away from hyperbaric therapy for six days to have her extractions and reported that the pain/tenderness went away during her time off. She returned for hyperbaric treatment on Monday and today reported that the pain had returned after just 3 treatments. I went online and found two cases of tender/painful breast that where diving related (DCS) and that resolved with hyperbaric therapy, however I was not able to find any information, nor have I ever heard of tender or painful breast associated with hyperbaric oxygen therapy for female patients.I’m at a loss and don’t know how to explain this to the patient. Have any of you heard of anything like this or know the cause? Psychosomatic?As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

4/2/2012 at 5:08:31 PM GMT

We had a patient with breast implants that had similar breast pain complaints.  She did not have pain anywhere else and her pain didn't start until she had around 10 treatments. 

Kari

Sign In

Forgot your password?

Haven't registered yet?

Calendar

11/1/2014
UHMS: Online Wound Care Educational Series

11/1/2014
Hyperbaric Physician Certification