Ulcerative Colitis and HBOT
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

4/16/2012 at 4:07:20 PM GMT
Ulcerative Colitis and HBOT

Hello Everyone,

A local gastroenterologist sent me a 28 year old patient who has ulcerative colitis.  He has failed standard care since last July.  I have never treated anyone with ulcerative colitis.  I have read the article by Buchman and Fife in the Journal of Clincial Gastroenterology from October 2001.  The next step for this patient is colectomy in a 28 year old man because of the severe pain and bleeding.  This patient is located in Troy, New York.  Anyone have luck with getting insurance companies to cover this indication?

Thanks Vince

5/24/2012 at 3:20:08 PM GMT
I can say if he has private insurance you may have a chance.  If someone can draft a letter explaining to the insurance carrier why he would benefit from HBOT showing some documented evidence, go for it.  If he is Medicare, unfortunately he is out of luck.  Hope this helps.

6/4/2012 at 3:06:10 PM GMT

We had the same experience in MA.  We treated a young patient with severe ulcerative colitis and sent letters for prior authorization/special consideration and were able to receive payment from (I believe) United Healthcare.  good luck

Rosemary Byrne NP
Certified Hyperbaric Registered Nurse

8/1/2012 at 1:52:37 PM GMT
I treated a pt at my last place of employment and his MD went and submitted a letter and called his insurance and got him approved for 40 tx's and we had good results.

9/26/2012 at 4:12:32 PM GMT

Thanks for your help everyone, unfortunately the patient's insurance company was not very accomodating.  Maybe I did not say the right thing.  It is very frustrating especially when I see the great results.  Any one willing to send me a letter that you submitted to the insurance company.

Thanks Again

Sign In

Forgot your password?

Haven't registered yet?

Calendar

9/1/2014
UHMS: Online Wound Care Educational Series

9/1/2014
Hyperbaric Physician Certification