About the UHMS
The Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) was formed in 1967. It is an international nonprofit association serving some 2,000 physicians, scientists, associates and nurses from more than 30 countries in the fields of hyperbaric and dive medicine.
The UHMS is an important source of scientific and medical information pertaining to undersea and hyperbaric medicine through its bimonthly, peer-reviewed journal, Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine, symposia, courses, certifications, workshops and publications.
It organizes an annual scientific meeting at different U.S. and international locations to permit review of the latest in research and treatment and to promote the highest standards of practice.
The mission of the UHMS is:
- To provide a forum for professional scientific communication among individuals and groups involved in basic and applied studies concerned with life sciences and human factors aspects of the undersea environment and hyperbaric medicine.
- To promote cooperation between the life sciences and other disciplines concerned with undersea activity, hyperbaric medicine, and wound care.
- To develop and promote educational activities and other programs, which improve the scientific knowledge of matters related to undersea and hyperbaric environments and the accepted applications of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for the membership, as well as physicians and allied health professionals, divers, diver technicians and the public at large.
- To provide a source of information and support in the clinical practice of hyperbaric medicine and to stay abreast of legislative, legal, and regulatory changes in the field.
- To provide a means by which hyperbaric facility directors/owners will have an opportunity to request an accreditation survey of their facility for safety, staffing and verifying the adequacy of the professional medical application of hyperbaric therapy.
The IRS requires that Form 1023, Form 990, Form 990-T, Annual Reports, and financial statements need to be posted on the non-profit's public website and made available to the public upon request. Below is the pdf copy of UHMS Current 990.